Thursday, July 5, 2012

First hospital stay

I logged in and geez, I haven't posted anything since the beginning of March.  I really need to do a better job at this!  So much has happened, there's no way I can re-cap the last three months really without getting lost in trying to remember everything.  Let's just start with what is going on now.  Christopher had a cold (along with the rest of the Wright family) and his cough was lingering.  We tried two rounds of amoxicillon and even a round of Bactrim to which he broke out in a rash.  Dr. Dellon explained she would call in another 10 day course of amox. and the goal was to have the cough completely gone at the end of the 10 days.  If not, then she explained she would want to do a Bronchoscopy to check his airways and see what is going on in his lungs. 10 days pass and he improves for sure, but I keep hearing this random cough flair up and make the call to see what we need to do.  Dr. Dellon explains the procedure to me and then surprises me with the fact that she would like to admit Christopher after the procedure to start IV antibiotics for possibly 14 days.  Whoa!  I was shocked, I never dreamed we would be in the hospital at only 5 months old.  I keep battling with feeling guilty or somehow responsible.  I know, I know, I didn't cause this to happen, but as a mother I still just feel like there should have been something I could have done to prevent this. 

We quickly made the arrangements to get him here and for me to be able to stay with him and work remotely.  A huge thank you to my boss and co-workers for being so supportive, understanding and helpful.  I appreciate the help more than words can express.  We drove up early Tuesday morning to be here by 7:30.  Christopher couldn't have any formula after midnight and only clear liquids up until 5:30 that morning.  Needless to say by the time we got checked in and in the surgery waiting room, he was getting pretty antsy.  We met with the Dr. performing the bronch and the anesthesiologist (sp??) and they took him off kicking and screaming.  Not easy to watch.  The Dr. came out to talk with us probably after only 20 minutes and explained that the procedure went well and he handled it fine, there was a significant amount of mucus she saw in his upper lobes and they were able to squirt the saline in his lungs and suck it back out in order to get samples to culture.  It would possibly be 3-7 days though before the cultures might be ready so they would admit him and just start him on a broad spectrum antibiotic until they got clear results from the samples.  The picc line team was working on him and she said it wouldn't be much longer.  Fast forward an hour and a half and finally they come out and say that one of us at a time could come see him in recovery.  I went first and I could hear him screaming all they way at the other end of the hallway.  I felt so bad for all the other kids in the recovery area that were resting and sleeping off the anesthesia, because Christopher was pissed and letting everyone know it.  His poor nurse looked helpless.  They had given him 2 bottles of pedialyte and he sucked them down but wouldn't calm down.  I made him a bottle as quickly as possible and got his enzymes ready and then he absolutely refused to drink it.  I think his throat was so sore and the screaming on top of it really made it worse.  Finally they just gave him something to relax him and tylenol and that did the trick.  He passed out in my arms and I finally got to take a look at him with his arm all bandaged with the picc line and his foot had an IV stuck in it so they could give him fluids and meds until the picc line was ok to use.  Once they have a picc line in, they have to order an x-ray to confirm it's in the right place and safe to use.  After being in recovery for almost 2 hours, they finally got us into his room so we could get settled. 

We have met so many doctors, nurses and assistants I can't keep names straight at all.  There is a CF team who comes every morning for rounds and one Dr that visits throughout the day and other than that it's mostly just wonderful nurses and respiratory therapists.  Wednesday morning after rounds, his Dr came in and explained that already his culture was showing "something" growing, which wasn't a shock, but I really also just wish they would have said he is just growing normal bacteria.  This morning during rounds they told me that he has cultured Pseudomonas and despite her efforts to convince me its ok, I am pretty devastated.  I know better than to believe everything you read online, but I have heard so many bad things about Pseudomonas and how pretty much once you culture it, you never really get rid of it.  I have lots more researching to do so I can fully understand it, and so I can try to explain it to others without sounding like an idiot.  Then later this afternoon they came back in and said he tested positive for the Rhinovirus, which is really just a common cold, but that we were back on "droplet precautions" and more or less quarantined so we don't infect anyone else around.  I swear I don't know how I will ever really know when Christopher is sick, he has seemed happier than ever the past few weeks.  He is so strong and smiles all the time, it's hard to believe that all along he has been sick.  Every Dr or nurse that walks in comments on how sweet he is and he just smiles and flashes those baby blues.  They also can't believe how chunky he is!  He is not your stereotypical CF'er that is thin or sickly looking.  He is weighing in over 18 lbs and still eating like crazy!!  Have to admit, it's kind of nice to have all his formula and rice cereal and meds provided each day.  We can save a few bucks maybe over the next few weeks.  Yes, few weeks is what we are looking at.  This morning the Dr. said that 2 or 3 weeks is not unreasonable at this point.  They are doing his chest PT 4 times per day and his IV antibiotics are every 8 hours for now.  There is possibly the option to take him home towards the end of this stay here and I can administer the IV antibiotics myself, but I'm not really sure I feel comfortable doing that.  Atleast not right now since its his first major infection and he would have to come back up here anyway to have the picc line removed.  Plus, if I had to change the dressing on the picc line, I'm pretty sure I would pass out.  The nurse yesterday didn't know what she was asking of me when she asked if I could help her with the dressing because the other nurses were busy.  I am not a fan of needles, nevermind this big catheter sticking out of Christophers arm that has to be cleaned weekly and re-dressed.  So, not sure this time around we will bring him home to finish the treatment.  I want the best possible opportunity for him to get better and really that means he should stay here and have the proper care given by the people who know what they are doing.  :) 

Anway, that is all we know right now.  Ashlee had a hard time leaving last night and it broke my heart.  She kept running back in the room with tears in her eyes to give both Christopher and me hugs and kisses goodbye.  She is such a sweet girl and misses her brother so much. 

Once they make rounds in the morning I will try and update everyone again so I get in the habit of blogging like I promised to do way back when I was pregnant. 

Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.