I got to see our little man today on the big screen. :) Today's appointment was a check up with the high risk doctor to compare his growth from 8 weeks ago. He put on quite a show and had the ultrasound technician chasing him at one point just to get some good shots. He really is a busy body in his cramped space that's for sure. Everything is growing and progressing as it should, he is a whole 2 lbs 8 oz currently.
When Dr. Wright came in to talk with me after reviewing the ultrasound results, she admitted she had to look back at my file to see whether or not we were aware of the CF. When I was there 8 weeks ago the amnio results were still pending so this was the first visit since finding out. She began to explain that they are going to closely monitor his bowel and looking at his bowel today would have been confirmation enough for her even without amnio results. His bowel is dilated which is a clear indication he will have intestinal "issues". Really, anyone who wants to volunteer to change diapers, please feel free! Here is how she explained a dilated bowel (I found this similar statement online).
You may have undergone a routine ultrasound which showed a segment of bowel which was dilated, or larger than normal. This is a clue to your doctor that there is a problem with the intestine. This dilation happens because while in the uterus the fetus constantly swallows amniotic fluid. This narrowing can slow down or stop the flow of amniotic fluid in the intestine causing it to swell, so that is appears too large in an ultrasound.
So, they are going to monitor how large the bowel dilates and also the amount of amniotic fluid present compared to the amount there today. I am due to go back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound. Sounds like I am going to be starting my every 2 weeks visits sooner than normal, but I am excited to see him again already. Well, I am practically falling asleep while typing this, I clearly need to head to bed! Good night!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.